Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Jena 6: Part of the U.S 300 Million

I have been reading about the Jena 6 situation and how thousands of frustrated and active people crowded the tiny streets of Jena, Louisiana to protest wrongs done to 6 teens. I am not writing to justify the kids' reaction to the wrongdoings because they were also culpable in the situation. The reaction I had was sadness. It's depressing that actions like this still occur all over this country.

Racism bothers me not only because I am African-American. Sadly, Jena 6 is one of many occurrences of bigotry and unfair justice. Most of the time though, it's subtle racism that hurts. A snide look, the 5-second glance not normally made, the comment not thought about. It happens so much nowadays. I have experienced this a lot in my life and reacted badly to comments made without much thought to the impact. I was told once, "Tim, I am happy you are a black man. You aren't like these (negros) at this school. You are smart and different." I don't think that the person who told me that realized how racist that comment is.

I can't think of any minority that hasn't heard some sort of comment like that, especially ones who are intelligent or affluent. My hope is that the 6 boys in this situation get justice. Equal, true justice. The truth is that racism is rampant and uncured and that's the true tragedy of this day: that things like this are normal.

No comments: