Sunday, August 19, 2007

Simon Says Don't Follow What Simon Says

I walked outside with raggedy shoes, torn shorts, and a wrinkled T-shirt. I didn't really care much. I told about 5 or 6 of my friends about this and they all agreed with this statement. "Dude, what the hell is wrong with you going out in public like that?" I just shake my head and continue walking. There has always been a societal dress code, but usually it allows for some sort of bending of conformity. I love new styles and how people rock what is different and get accepted. They dare to buck the trends. Yet....in the inner-city, there is no greater example of utter conformity.

There are an infinite amount of clothing brands, styles, and products out there. Everyone in the world can look different every day without wearing the same clothes twice. Why do people look so similar in some situations? The simple game of Simon Says....on crack. For example, my friend's brother's girlfriend's friend wears a certain style of clothing and it looks cool. So I HAVE to wear it. i go to Playmakers or whatever and buy it cause it looks so COOL. I rock it...and I find out that my friend changed his style cause his friend wears something he likes. so I gotta go and buy again and it continues on and on until I'm broke, working 2 jobs, and...looking hood rich. Wooooo. The truth is that it's an addiction, similar to drinking and sex except it won't kill you or make you pregnant. It will just make you look silly to any outsider whatsoever. The example I gave is not as extreme as it seems. It happens...every day.

So I am going to walk outside tomorrow in whatever I find in the closet. It's going to be random and cool. It might look silly but I am comfortable in it...and I suck at Simon Says. I never listen to what the command is.

No comments: