Sunday, August 19, 2007

Why Having Black Skin Isn't Good Enough Anymore

I look down and i see darkness. Not literally, I don't actually see a lack of light. But I see my skin. There is no shame in what I just said, pure pride of how I was born and raised. I won't go into details of my childhood as of right now but I am very happy that I made it as far as I have with the little tools that I was given besides my intelligence and sheer will to survive. I still see ebony skin. A sheer beauty that makes me smile. I see it...why don't others?

I was raised with a respect of my heritage. I don't know my exact genealogy but I know I am probably from somewhere near the equator in, say, Africa. Usually when people look at me, the first thing they notice is the color of my skin. I'm sure many others have the same first impression. The second thing they notice is my height being 6'3. When I start talking though, the most significant thing they notice is how I do not sound like they think I should sound. At all. I sound...white. Now to folks who don't understand how someone can sound like a color, you can't. Yet, I sound white. Why? Many factors that I haven't been able to determine. It might be the certain twang that is missing from my voice. It might be how I fully pronounce all my words properly. It might be that I don't have a drawl. Who knows? I just don't sound...black.
Sadly, that is the first question or response I get when I open my mouth in certain instances. Not even how are you? or how was your day? but are you white?

I don't even answer the question anymore. I go "look and figure it out" and move on. It seems like such a silly question but one that is deeply rooted in the psyche of so many individuals in this country. It might just simply be a complete ignorance of cultural blending or a sheer reluctance to acknowledge anything that isn't quite what they grew up with. I use the they but I admit I also make the same mistake sometimes. It's a habit...but a habit I try hard to break. At least I notice that I have it. It's crazy though...I look down, and I see black. I open my voice and I apparently hear white. But...I am only Tim. No matter what.

1 comment:

AC Associates said...

A very honest and touching post. I understand it completely. The sounds of Black or white,,, and why are people judged by that? How do other people sound of different backgrounds?

Isn't is funny that in summer, people strive for the 'tan', the darker the better..hmmm...(Just something I have always thought about)

Keep being "you"